fresh wednesday : new robyn & m.i.a.

So, I've been purposely separating the new Robyn tracks because they're so good on their own, I do not want to present them as a package deal (you can do that on your own). This track, which is her first collaboration with Royksopp since the popular Girl & The Robot of last year, has grown on me like algae. It's dark, cleverly written, sexy (if not sultry) in essence, and is a track that screams "PLAY ME WHILE YOU'RE DOING IT!"... if I'm not being too subtle. Enjoy!
None of Dem - Robyn ft. Röyksopp
Next, we have the brand new track by M.I.A. that is blowing up the interwebs. I haven't loved M.I.A.'s artistic direction since Arular, her debut album that was so innovative on so many levels that she had nowhere to go but down... after all she is not Radiohead (argue that all you want- you will lose). I thought Paper Planes was only popular because of the gun sound, which is not innovative, simply shock-driven mass-audience friendly fodder. I do like Boyz off the last album, as it was similar to her Arular sound, but that's about as far as my warmth toward the album goes. Sadly, I have to say I do not love the new track, but that's okay... I threw 10 Dollar down here too, from Arular (the first track I ever heard -and loved- by her in early 2005). Judge for yourself... after all, that's what this site is about. It just seems that every time M.I.A. tries something believed to be novel, she winds up sounding even more derivative.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Really enjoying Born Free. Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad someone does. Awesome for you!

Post a Comment