SIREN Preview: Janet

If there's one female pop artist who has had the most influence on my life, it is Janet Jackson. Ever since I was a child, I have been mesmerized by her ability to dance, sing, and break new ground in the world of performance. Without her ingenuity, in self and collaboration, dance pop would not be the same. She molded hip-hop to synth-pop, and street to club sounds before most of today's artists (who claim to do the same so originally) were out of elementary school.
I can still remember the first time I saw her streak out on the MTV Music Awards and rip open "Black Cat" from the iconic Rhythm Nation album. I can vividly recollect how the janet. album's "If" hit my ears and I never looked at choreographed dance-pop the same ever again. And, lastly, I can still remember seeing the Velvet Rope Tour (my first of 3 of her tours) and being floored by how elaborate, perfectly executed, and engaging it was.
She is, unlike a lot of today's pop artist, the one who truly portrays aggression in her music in a fashion that not only makes you want to deliberately express yourself, but you cannot help but hum the melodies that painted such ferocities delicate hues of pop sensibility all day long.

She is a true heroine of music, and she deserves to be honored this weekend at the FINAL SIREN!

Now, here are a few reasons why Ms. Jackson is a-fucking-mazing


No comments:

Post a Comment