essential tuesday: the song of my month

Over the last month I have come across some wonderful music. Some really made me dance, some made me think, some will be as disposable as it was acquirable, and some will stay with me for a very, very long time. This song has been in my head, consuming my actions, and becoming the very quiet soundtrack to my existence over the last 5 weeks. I have loved every second of this track from the first moment I heard it, and am still not sure why it won't depart my brain. The one thing I can point out is that it is the epitome of what I love in music (and life, really): simplicity done so perfectly you never realize how much of an homage it is to its complexities until you really sit down and soak it in like a sponge.

This is a remix of a Gorillaz track that is about a year old called On Melancholy Hill. I posted it recently on my Facebook page and a lot of people enjoyed it. I figured it wasn't completely given its due until a write-up on the blog did such. So, here it is:

Remixed by Feed Me a famous British DJ, Producer, and overall studio sorcerer whose real name is Jon Gooch, aka "Spor." "Feed Me" is his side project.

I had some personal things going on in my life over the last few weeks that definitely made this song resonate more. That really is what's perfect about such songs, though... they catch you in a moment and give it a soundtrack to enhance that feeling. And, even if that feeling is sadness, remorse, or simply a heartbreaking acceptance/resignation into reality, it must be appreciated for making us feel more alive. Nothing, after all, is worse than numbness.

Below are also the original track and video, which is beautiful in its own right, but not as sonically pretty as the remix.

No comments:

Post a Comment