spring show-tacular '09 (april)

Wednesday April 1 - The Presets - 9:30 Club
Easily the best two piece I have ever seen returns to 9:30 club, but for the first time as a headliner. I have seen The Presets thrice, and they always put on an amazing show. Once almost three years ago at Rock-N-Roll Hotel, again when they nearly upstaged The Rapture in 2007, and again when opening for (and destroying) Cut Copy last year. This Australian band is the epitome of danceable electro, and they not only know how to put on a good show, but they repeatedly deliver. I love them so much that I am going to NYC to see them at Webster Hall, as I have a DJ set at Duplex Diner that conflicts. GO SEE THEM! They are brilliant.

Saturday April 4 - Mates of State - 9:30 Club
Though I will not be able to see Mates of State, I am so glad that they still are making beautifully melodic music. Their latest, Rearrange Us, was one of the best albums of 2009, and they picked a decent opener, in Black Kids. I look forward to seeing them soon, and really hope they are able to spread their great sound to as many cities as possible.

Wednesday April 8 - Death Cab for Cutie / Ra Ra Riot - D.A.R.
I do not like D.A.R. Constitution Hall, at all. I think it is awful, and I refuse to see anything else musical there after seeing Death Cab there two Decembers ago. It is an awful space. That being said, Death Cab for Cutie is the kind of band that revels no matter where they play, and they picked up one of my favorite new bands, Ra Ra Riot as an opener. I, instead of gracing the awful steps of D.A.R., will see Ra Ra Riot on Saturday in their own headlining show at Webster Hall, in NYC. If you do not have it, please go get their debut LP, The Rhumb Line.

Tuesday April 14 - The Faint / Ladytron - 9:30 Club
The Faint are the second best live act I have ever seen. They repeatedly deliver. Only Radiohead has put on a better performance, in my eyes, and I would tell anyone to go see them. Ladytron is okay live, with most songs borderline underwhelming, while others are wonderfully polished (see: Soft Power). The concert will be much more of a contrast than people expect, with Ladytron often low-key live. Still, this is the best one-two punch on the road right now. Try not to cut yourself.

Friday April 17 - Lily Allen / Natalie Portman's Shaved Head - 9:30 Club
Lily Allen is a wonderfully mouthy Brit, with a lovely sense of propriety. Bless her heart. She picked up Natalie Portman's Shaved Head as an opener for her tour, a band that put out one of my favorite songs of the last year, Me + Yr Daughter. This show sold out faster than Lady Gaga ditched DC. My favorite moment, if I was actually able to see this show, would have to be screaming the lyrics to F**k You, by Lily Allen. It brings warmth to my soul.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm really looking forward to seeing Lily

Anonymous said...

i wish i had tickets!

Post a Comment