Charlie Kordes returns to kick some DJ ass for Madonna

"Madonna. How can you not love a woman who constantly reinvents herself and drives so much of music culture? But... when I really fell in love with Madonna was in a cabin next to the Allegheny River. I was seven years old and I vividly remember making up my very first dance routine to "Open Your Heart" which was playing on repeat from a radio recording on my tape deck. It was the first time a song just made me want to dance. I felt free and not like the little kid from middle of nowhere Ohio. Through the year Madonna continued to impress, reinvent, and be a constant part of my music rotation. So yes, I love Madonna. Bitch helped be grow up and taught me if something wasn't working to just reinvent it."



These words are from guest DJ (for Friday/tomorrow's SIREN: 10 Hail Marys - A True Blue Madonna Tribute), and one of my favorite people, DJ Kordes.  DJ Kordes got his big club debut right here at SIREN.  A favorite of mine, and any people in DC, Kordes (or simply Charlie to everyone else) has been a regular DJ at Duplex Diner, as well as many-a-house party.  After hearing him the first time, I was not only impressed, I was quite floored by his sense of danceable music.  He has that x-factor/intuition required to mold his own dance floor loves with those his audience would enjoy; to play from the proverbial venn diagram.  And, this is quite honestly why it will be his third run as a DJ @ SIREN (he also did the Beyoncé Ball and 2nd Annual Robyn Riot), and I could not be happier with the choice.  I want him to keep coming back and making me dance.  
Kordes will be taking up the 'vital hour' from 11-12:00 on Friday.  He is the perfect kind of DJ for the job, as he is skilled beyond his experience at building a crowd.  And, he also plays just prior to my first set (12:00-1:00)- which should speak volumes (if you know me) on how much I trust his skills.  Kordes' favorite three Madonna tracks are definitely interesting, as well:

1. Human Nature
2. Express Yourself
3. Vogue

The attitude of Human Nature + the uplifting honesty of Express Yourself + the daring sass of Vogue basically sum up Charlie as a person and a performer.   When asked to be a part of 10 HAIL MARYS, Charlie was excited and ready to pounce on the opportunity.  He transfers this same enthusiasm to the booth, and people relish in his energy.  I cannot wait to hear what he plays on Friday, as he honors the queen.


So, DON'T MISS IT:

11:00-12:00 SET (right after the 10:00-11:00 open vodka hour) 

No comments:

Post a Comment