essential: "All My Friends" - Franz Ferdinand (LCD Soundsystem cover)

There are songs in my life that mean so much that describing why would only leave more ambiguity than clarity. "All My Friends" is a song written so frankly and beautifully, while musically solid, that it embodies everything I love in a song. It is in my top 10 songs ever, and the Franz Ferdinand version is closer to the top 5 of that.

There is nothing to take away from the original version. It is amazing. One blogger once wrote, quite perfectly, that "The Franz Ferdinand version is constructed more solidly and they get a chance to show off their musical ability, while the LCD Soundsystem original has depth and honesty." I have to agree. Well, mostly. The former doesn't lack honesty, it just adds intensity.
In the moments of reflection, in my life, that this song emits... the moments when we think about what we're actually doing amid all the static; where everything seems to be moving in a slow motion accident around us; where we reflect on our 'actual' humanity and personal connections/intimacy in a life so fleeting...

...In those moments, I am not in a thoughtful state of inner rumination (like the LCD track)... I am in a barely simmering state of volcanic, passionate, deliberate dancing while crying tears of melancholy joy and screaming out at the top of my lungs "WHERE ARE YOUR FRIENDS TONIGHT?!" as my head swims in a whirlpool of the bitter and the sweet, as emotions soar up and down with the chords of a song that embodies the pure insanity that is the lucidity that is the life we live, and in which we must revel.

This song is that for me.

OK, I guess I described it.



Where are your friends tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment