essentials: the strokes

You know whose sound can suck my sack? Well their name rhymes with Crampire Peekend and they're possibly the most overrated rock band on the planet. Whenever I hear them I can't help but think back to my days in college when "Is This It?" by The Strokes broke onto the college airwaves (circa August 2001) and created a big frenzy within the music/art kid community of which I was immersed. We would later go on to be called hipsters by popular media... a term I despise, honestly. Some of us took our piercings out, stopped dying our hair (or just shaved it off - haha), started eating meat again for the sake of balance... and mostly just stopped taking ourselves too seriously. I guess the latter is why we often look at the generation a mere 3 or 4 years after us and wonder why they're so terribly underwhelming and overstated. Alas, I withdraw...
Despite all that glorious stigma, a lot of us who were born in the early 1980's sucked up the amazing tunes of the early 2000's, and now look back fondly on some of the albums that came out during that time. One band still around 9+ years and three albums later is The Strokes. So, before you go idolizing into some Williamsburg-based, granola-eating, tattoo-aspiring, melodic vortex with a trust fund and a recording contract with the Twilight soundtrack, let's reflect on five FANTASTIC tracks from one of the bands that inspired them to make music. Here are my essential Strokes. Take a wack at'em!

Also, check out the amazing video (above) for Juicebox from 2006. Love. It. How often does an indie/completely hip rock band show a homosexual scene (in a non-mocking manner) at the height of its popularity? Plus the song really is pretty f*cking orgasmic.

In other nonsensical banter, I know this entry makes little sense, but follow what you can... I DO WHAT I WANT!

No comments:

Post a Comment