gettin' down with the V

OK, let's catch up after a very long Laboridiculous Dayness... First, Virgin FreeFest!

Last Sunday, I had the opportunity to go see some really enjoyable acts at Merriweather. The day started with Mates of State, who were adorable, as always. I really love their sound, and they were the perfect start to the day.

Mates of State Set-List
Now
Fraud in the '80s
Like You Crazy
Think Long
You Are Free
Fluke
Ha Ha
My Only Offer
Re-Arrange Us
Goods
Long Way Home (Tom Waits cover)




If you haven't heard of Mates of State, and enjoy melodic, upbeat, often-danceable (yet folk-laden) music.. please check'em out. They are fantastic: WEBSITE. They will always remind me that "everything's gonna get lighter, even if it never gets better."

Then, we saw Jet (tolerable... only because "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" is still so good - don't judge me!) whose best song may have been their old single "Look What You've Done" (VIDEO), which they dedicated to the Oasis break-up. My crew and I joined the pit for The Bravery, whose new material isn't half bad. I guess there was nowhere to go but up for them. What a shitfactory their second album was.

Then came Weezer. Yes, I admit I am a big fan of Weezer. I was 12 when I first heard them, and have enjoyed them through their great moments (Blue, Pinkerton, and random singles through the last 4 albums), as well as their excremental output... but it was a giant "check" in the column of 'bands to see in my lifetime.'

Oh, did I mention they were surprisingly awesome?! Indeed. They played for an hour of sweaty sexy moments where I thrashed around in the pit like an idiot. They opened with an intro of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs," that went directly into "Hash Pipe" : VIDEO. The highlight for me was easily "Surf Wax America," which the younger crowd did not know, and the older ones, like myself, lost their mind. It is probably the fastest song, and perhaps their best. And, of course, Undone (The Sweater Song), was a choral masterpiece. Lastly, they closed with a cover of The Clash's classic, "Should I Stay or Should I Go." Hot.

Weezer Set List:
Hashpipe
Troublemaker
Undone (The Sweater Song)
Surf Wax America
Perfect Situation
I Want You To
Say It Ain't So
My Name is Jonas
Island in the Sun
The Good Life
Pork & Beans
Beverly Hills
Buddy Holly
Should I Stay or Should I Go


Finally, we went to see Franz Ferdinand! Yes, they were awesome as always... but the crowd was terrible. They had the energy of an amoeba, and genuinely sucked at life. Still, Franz adapted, as always, and rocked it out. They are wonderful. My personal highlight is constantly "Michael," which I blatantly dedicate to myself every time I see them. Huzzah!

Franz Ferdinand's Set List
No You Girls
Dark of the Matinee
Do You Want To
This Fire
Turn it On
Tell Her Tonight
Take Me Out
Ulysses
What She Came For
Outsiders
Michael
Darts of Pleasure
Lucid Dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment