Ra Ra Riot - review

Ra Ra Riot has talent. I had a chance to see them last weekend at Webster Hall, in NYC, in what was the largest audience of their young careers. They hit the stage with rockstars in their eyes and had a hell of a time expelling their energy to the masses.

Ra Ra Riot played a short set (not as short as the dreadfully brief Ting Tings), including three of my favorite tracks from their debut LP, The Rhumb Line. Those tracks included Ghost Under Rocks, Winter 'O5, and the delightfully bittersweet and upbeat Dying is Fine.

The latter was one of my favorite tracks of 2008, and brought the entire event together for me. Without it, I would have had to play an episode of Family Guy in my head.

The band was well-rehearsed and crafted, while catering to a rhythm-less white kid audience. Unfortunately, within the crowd, there always has to be one Fratbag who tries to ruin everyone else's experience with his overzealous woohooing and exploitation of the one departure from his Puddle of Mudd-dominated playlist.

Ra Ra Riot is a band with endless potential. I hope.
Rating: slightly above 'just ok'
-the Majr

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wouldn't like death if death were good... great line. i hope they get much bigger.

Unknown said...

They were definitely fun live. Loved the gals. The violinist was more talented, but there is just something about a woman grinding on her cello that really gets me riled up...

M.H. Adolphson, Jr. said...

That was actually her giant clitoris, she was playing.. she was actually just humming the sound.

Anonymous said...

I think they are so much better than a lot of bands that are friends with them from the NYC area... it should be an interesting journey.

Post a Comment