Designer Drugs - review

I had the fortune of catching a backbar set by Designer Drugs last weekend at 9:30 club. It was a fun experience, despite the small area, and I am happy that 9:30 was able to host such a rising act.

About 60+ people crammed into the tiny bar under 9:30 club, with many visibly excited to see the new, highly touted DJ duo. I arrived as they commenced their set with an original intro track (which I always love from any disc jockey). I rushed to the DJ booth and watched the two of them go at it for the next 45 minutes.

After opening with two awesome tracks of pure, pulsating electro, the first few bars of their original track, Zombies, were played. This sent the entire place into a frenzy. My body began dancing without me, which is always the best flavor of foxtrot.

After a few more brilliant tracks, they played (perhaps) my favorite dance song of the moment, Milke's Love Get Out of My Way. After playing their remix of said song at our first SHIFT, it was nice to have it played for me by the actual artist. I danced so hard that I lost complete control for a couple minutes; dancing my face off, if you will. I came to, reattached my face, and allowed the track to unwind into transition.

To be honest, they could have spontaneously combusted at that point, and I would have been happy. (You know, minus the death part). The small venue and short set became inconsequential, and the entire experience was a lovely appetizer for what will hopefully be a career that brings huge nights of big venue dancing.

Rating: simply good stuff, with great sh*t to come
-the Majr

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

almost as good as l.a. riots... if not equal. also, check out their remix of the Veronica's "Untouched" and Protocol's "Moving Forward." Good stuff.

Post a Comment