review: Marina & The Diamonds (live)

Marina & The Diamonds put on quite the show this evening. From the outset, the show was a surprise.
When I expected her to fall back on back-tracking, she raised her voice and overwhelmed the crowd.
When I felt she may become more tentative with an oft-reserved D.C. crowd, she gave them an excess of sass and rock-starlet swagger.
Finally, when I thought she'd open up with a big hit and mosey through a set of filler before pounding out a couple of strong more mass-familiar tracks, she completely caught me off-guard with her arrangement and organic momentum.
For me, it is easy to say that the highlights were I Am Not A Robot and Shampain (my favorite two tracks), but the songs that really stood out otherwise were Numb and Are You Satisfied.Numb, in particular, was nothing short of enchanting. I Am Not A Robot was a unique balance of intimate and anthemic that brought quickly to mind seeing Regina Spektor perform On The Radio last fall in Los Angeles (at the amazing Greek Theatre).
I believe she will be a massive star, eventually.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Such a great time! The shot with you and Marina came out great. Saved by the Bell meets biker chic.

Post a Comment