essentials: regina spektor

Regina Spektor, a Moscow-born and Bronx-grown anti-folk beacon, has these moments of lyrical excellence that never get flowery or overly metaphorical, nor are they ever dumbed-down into simplicity. It's quite the balance she achieves in this, and it's why I became a fan.

In 2006 she released what can be described as the perfect anti-folk album in Begin To Hope. You should own it if you are a lover of the modern singer/songwriter. Here are my four essential tracks from the album. These are my favorites, but if you do not like them, I would also recommend looking up the two biggest (and much more pop-friendly) singles from the album, Fidelity and Better.

My favorite of these, if you must know, is easily On The Radio. Not to get too transparent, but I definitely listen to it when I have bad days or simply need some bittersweet coherence. A close second is Samson, which I often equate to my last relationship. It's a real weenie-shrinker, but a hell of a song. Hotel Song is the infectious side of Spektor that will stick with you like a herpes simplex. Lastly, That Time is the kind of simple, carefree, dreadfully honest folk-pop track that makes me want to strip down to my underwear and a cape made of pillow cases and run through the East Village. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Joe said...

love love love love

Post a Comment