essential tuesday - garbage

Garbage changed everything.

Think what you will, but they are the keystone band of my youth that allowed me to not only span my adoration for music across multiple genres, but allowed me to hear what 'quality' music should be: great writing, flawless production, and a balance of messy and beautiful. I have only seen them once, in 2002, but still consider it in the top 4 live shows I've ever experienced. Shirley Manson is the ultimate front-woman. She dominates every inch of the stage and is perhaps the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in person. No joke. She is petite, model-esque, and has these distinctive (gigantic) eyes that you can see in detail from the back of the venue. THE BIG NEWS is that they are recording again. Yep! Since February, they have been recording at their old studios in Madison, Wisconsin, in preparation for their fifth album. It has been 5 years since Bleed Like Me, and I'm salivating to hear Manson, Vig & co. come out with something new. There's a hole in my musical heart until that happens.

Here are my SEVEN favorite Garbage tracks, followed by my favorite video of theirs. The tracks include a favorite from each album (Version 2.0 has two because it is their best), as well as two b-sides (one written for the Romeo + Juliet soundtrack, and another is from the Version 2.0 sessions that didn't make the record). Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post; odd video choice w/so many gems out there.

SHIFTdc said...

SOOO many gems. I just have an unhealthy affection for her in the platinum :-D

Post a Comment