Song of the Summer #7: "The Riot's Gone" - Santigold

As I've stated a few times, my favorite 2012 album so far is Santigold's sophomore LP (suck it, slump) Master of My Make-Believe.  Within this album there are no less than FIVE superb tracks, and three in particular I consider to be in the top 10 best songs of the year, thus far.

Here's a little taste of this brilliance:


Santigold really puts herself on an incredibly vulnerable stage here.  She speaks from a place of inner turmoil turned vanquished soul, yet always potently self-aware.  To me, at least, it is a song about being trapped within oneself, and how one relates to the world - yet oddly comfortable in one's self-made bed of nails.  A song that can easily be related to relationships, as well as the psychological storms that often beget a lush creation.

This is definitely my reflective song of the summer.

I've been looking for a fight
All the trouble that I know
Trying to lose the world inside
But, it's got no place to go

Oh, I'm only dangerous at the whim of my command
I've been searching for an angle
For a cause I can defend

Oh, take me home
Let me go all day
Just be here 'til I know
The riot's gone, the riot's gone away

No comments:

Post a Comment