3 tracks: best Madonna remixes

I'm not the biggest Madonna fan out there, but I believe it hard for one not to appreciate her consistency over the years, as well as her (a propos) ambition. She's worked for a great deal and deserves her success, for the most part.

When I am DJing, I rarely play an album track of hers (they're usually too slow), but I do really enjoy some great remixes of her material. Here are my three favorite Madonna remixes, for Three Track Thursday.

I think the best part about these remixes is that the original tracks come from three different eras of her career. Into The Groove (1985) marked the first flush of Madonna's young career, when her sound was just coming into its own. Sidechains always seems to add great edge to their remixes, and this is no different. It transforms a mid-80's pop track into a belligerently electro dance song. This one wins most improved at the reunion.

Hollywood (2003) was the second single from the third straight chart topping record (American Life) in 6 years (after a 5 year period when few thought Madonna would recover from her pariah-like status of the early 1990's). It was this quality-grind era that saved Madonna's career, in my opinion. This remix, by the near-legendary Thin White Duke, made me like a song that otherwise about which I could give a damn less.

Lastly, we have Celebration (2009), a track that was originally written in part by Paul Oakenfold, and then remixed here by Benny Benassi. Does that not spell the perfect dance track? Madonna has this way of employing the best of the best to save and/or replenish her career with quality pop. Perhaps that says a great deal about her aesthetic instincts (and her humility)... and for that you can never doubt her merit over this massive span of 24 years between these tracks.


No comments:

Post a Comment