L.A. Riots - review

Act: L.A. Riots
Venue: Le Poisson Rouge, 02/07/09



[East Village, NYC] This weekend I had the opportunity to go to NYC and see a DJ duo that I have been following for a few months: L.A. Riots. I can only describe their style as aggressive, completely danceable electro. They manage to mix in a great deal of indie pop, as well, including some of my favorite songs.

LA Riots opened with a brilliant rendition of Hot Chip's "Ready for the Floor," which made the crowd break into a dancing frenzy. Track after track followed for the length of their 90 minute set, including the best remix of Crystal Castles' "Crimewave" that I have ever heard. The apex of the evening was when they dropped a remix of MSTRKRFT's newest single, "Bounce," which worked me hard. Hearing this (an amazing DJ duo mixing another) completely rocked my dupa. Toward the end of the set, they laid down a remix of their own remix of The Ting Tings' "That's Not My Name," which completed the experience.

I honestly can say that I had not danced this hard since the November '07 MSTRKRFT show. It was a warm reminder of how great a good disc jockey can make one's evening.

Sweaty and danced into the ground, I left with the perfect post-show high. After seeing a couple hundred bands and DJ's in my life, it was nice to be reminded that talent can still deliver.


For those of you who are looking to dive more deeply into this genre, or who simply like danceable indie rock/electro, definitely check out the links above, as well as Whitey and Fischerspooner, two of my favorite acts.

Rating: halfway between rocked my sh*t and totally the cat's pajamas


-the Majr

No comments:

Post a Comment